Administrator

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside Red Hawk Vol. 1: The Big Three

Greetings dear readers! The public rarely gets a good look at what goes on behind the scenes in scanslation groups, and so we are beginning a series of articles that will explain who we are, how we work, and hopefully bring the readers closer to the staff members that they mostly only know by names on the credit pages.

Today we are starting off with a piece about the three administrators that each represent one third of the scanslation process. Most of the power and responsibility in Red Hawk rests with this trinity. Each of these men commands their own section of the group and is instrumental in keeping the operations going. They are:

Takadanama – Mediator, Leader, Editor

A Chinese descendant who lives in Indonesia may seem like an unlikely leader for an English scanslation group, and yet Takadanama runs Red Hawk effectively enough to silence all skeptics.

The leader of a scanslation group is the cement that holds it together. Aside from organizing daily operations, it is the leader’s responsibility to manage the conflicts and egos of his subordinates. In order to pull this off, a leader must command genuine personal respect from his staff. Without exception, Takadanama does just that. At Red Hawk there is no heir apparent, no imminent successor. The inimitable founder is the heart of the group—without him there would be no Red Hawk.

Takadanama first formed Red Hawk Scanslations in 2008 out of the ashes of the defunct Noizy Scanslations, bringing with him most of the essential staff that he had worked with before. As their work increased in quality, so too did their popularity. Today Takadanama’s connections throughout the scanslation scene are vast, and his unique background has allowed him to connect with Chinese groups with whom Red Hawk often shares raw providers.

In addition to being the mastermind behind many projects and the final word in all debates, Takadanama is also a master with Photoshop and personally runs the editing department. Many pretenders have come and gone, each fancying themself as the top cleaner in the group, but at the end of the day Takadanama stands above them all as ultimate overseer of cleaning and typesetting operations.

HontouRakuda – Loyalist, Veteran, Translator

In 2008, before Red Hawk Scanslations even existed, when Takadanama was a mere officer at Noizy Scanslations, a recruitment call went out looking for a translator for a new series called Kimi no Iru Machi. It was at that time that a man known as HontouRakuda answered the call.

A fan of Seo Kouji, HontouRakuda leapt at the opportunity to translate a series by one of his favorite authors. Upon joining the Noizy team, however, he soon discovered that translation standards were next to nil and that some of his peers were embarrassingly bad at their jobs. His calls for higher standards were largely ignored, though he was able to start up a nascent training program that never had time to bear fruit.

When Noizy Scanslations collapsed due to ineffective leadership, HontouRakuda followed Takadanama and became one of the founding members of Red Hawk Scanslations. He remains one of the most veteran members of the staff and has since been able to implement the standards he once craved. Every aspiring Japanese translator must first meet his approval before working at Red Hawk.

Today it is primarily his personal loyalty to Takadanama and an enduring appreciation for the works of Seo Kouji that keeps HontouRakuda motivated through periods of lethargy and flagging interest. Together, this dynamic duo represents the Red Hawk old guard and commands great respect from the rest of the staff.

Ichibukai – Upstart, Belligerent, Proofreader

The grandmaster of the proofreading department is also the newest administrator on the block. At his core, Ichibukai is a straightforward technocrat who works in the publishing industry in the United States. He first joined the Red Hawks in the middle of 2010 and has since had a meteoric rise through the group, from an entry level proofreader to one of the most influential voices on the staff within a few months.

Before Ichibukai reformed the department, there were essentially no proofreading standards in Red Hawk whatsoever. Upon being put in charge, the first thing he did was fire every single staff member who had been there before him. He then quickly instituted a rigorous new set of expectations and began testing applicants by the dozens. Of the many who applied, to date only two have secured permanent positions on Ichibukai’s proofreading team—more on them later.

While much of Ichibukai’s success can be attributed to the strength of his own proofreading work, much of it is also due to his ruthless approach to group politics. Direct to a fault, he clashed frequently with other staff members during his ascent and generally came out on top. Where Takadanama makes peace, Ichibukai makes war.

Today Ichibukai is both maker and destroyer of kings. More than one veteran staff member has left the group after rubbing him the wrong way, but newcomers taken under his wing have enjoyed great success. A devoted fan of The World God Only Knows, his primary motivation for working at Red Hawk is his love of the series and an enduring desire to do it the greatest justice possible.

2. Description
    content
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Hawk Scanlations For This Useful Post:

Kris (01-07-2014), Yoizen (01-09-2014)

Nero_BlackFire
    Stalker

Re: Inside Red Hawk Vol. 1: The Holy Trinity

Taka >Thank you.
    Hontou >You should hang around the lesser human beings more, never talked to you D=
    Ichibukai >Thanks & Congratulations.

=)

5. Description
    content
    engix
    Stalker

Re: Inside Red Hawk Vol. 1: The Big Three

liked the descriptions though i already new some of it :x

7. Description
    content
    kaege
    Stalker

Jadi Takadanama bener org Indonesia ya? Aku udah curiga dari dulu, tapi ga mastiin. Abis nama'y itu lho--Tak Ada Nama O_O

Maju terus, RedHawk!!

9. Description
    content
    Lleu
    Stalker

This article is spectacularly written; well done. I can't wait to meet the rest of the gang in the next ones.
    Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

11. Description
    content
    mambo
    Stalker

wow... all of them are dictator and cold-hearted...... no democracy? :p

thank you, guys ;D

13. Description
    content
    cloudmaster
    Stalker

Wow, cool article! Thank you guys for all your hard work! :D

15. Description
    content
    MachiKonjo
    Stalker

[quote author=mambo link=topic=3362.msg46724#msg46724 date=1294634602]
    wow... all of them are dictator and cold-hearted...... no democracy? :p

thank you, guys ;D
    [/quote]

dictators? xD

doesn't really matter if they are...at least they're doing their best at their jobs... :D
    *murmurs* and they're also pretty cool... *blush*
    ahem! good luck minna-sama~

-don't mind me here...just refer to me as mere air-
    -or maybe a cloud floating around-
    :p

17. Description
    content
    Tru3Ph03niX
    Stalker

Its nice to learn about how RH first began and who started it all!
    I look forward to the next edition of the article XD

[quote author=Nero_BlackFire link=topic=3362.msg46707#msg46707 date=1294624007]
    Taka >Thank you.
    Hontou >You should hang around the lesser human beings more, never talked to you D=
    Ichibukai >Thanks & Congratulations.

=)
    [/quote]

My sentiments exactly
    Especially the part about Hontou I really don't see you here much >_<

19. Description
    content
    greenmoriyama
    Stalker

An article that I never expected, but was wishing for. Thanks to the Big Three who are the cornerstone of RedHawk.

21. Description
    content
    pi321
    Stalker

You forgot to mention Ichi being high half the time :)

23. Description
    content
    HontouRakuda
    Stalker

I pretty much hide in the staff channel

25. Description
    content
    kidz
    Stalker

if taka and HR is the founder of redhawk
    then i was one of the first member here :p
    eventhough i never worked at any series |_|
    and my ID was deleted when the site was down a while ago ;_;
    btw thanks for all your hard work guys 8)

27. Description
    content
    Kuro vi Lolitannia
    Stalker

*looking at the description*

I smell Nazism here XD

29. Description
    content
    denisin
    Stalker

TAK ADA NAMA = DON'T HAVE NAME >_< >_< >_< >_< >_<

31. Description
    content
    WorldCon
    Stalker

Wow... Proofreading standards seem to have risen quite substantially since the last time I was here >_<

I wouldn't even meet the prerequisites if I tried to apply now, but then again, how can I compete against somebody with an English major? >_>

The increase in quality is definitely noticeable, though. I can't really complain, eh? ^_^

33. Description
    content
    MachiKonjo
    Stalker

[quote author=WorldCon link=topic=3362.msg46894#msg46894 date=1294810847]
    Wow... Proofreading standards seem to have risen quite substantially since the last time I was here >_<

I wouldn't even meet the prerequisites if I tried to apply now, but then again, how can I compete against somebody with an English major? >_>

The increase in quality is definitely noticeable, though. I can't really complain, eh? ^_^
    [/quote]

are they recruiting proofreaders? (what is a proofreader anyway? gosh i'm so stupid..)

35. Description
    content
    mambo
    Stalker

[quote author=MachiKonjo link=topic=3362.msg46911#msg46911 date=1294830759]
    are they recruiting proofreaders? (what is a proofreader anyway? gosh i'm so stupid..)
    [/quote]
    proofreader is the staff whose task is to examine the translated material meet the standard of the translated language. Since redhwak is english scanlation, redhawk proofreader should know proper /standard english language.

37. Description
    content
    walkerboh
    Stalker

A wonderful idea, i really enjoy getting to better know those who are working on the projects i love reading, thanks a lot for this article.

39. Description
    content
    psicomenace
    Stalker

Really awesome this article, thanks, is wonderfull know more about the staff.

41. Description
    content
    kundumstaf
    Stalker

XD ahhh ichibukai iz so funny ^^
    and it iz true about them.
    Taka: my cleaning-sensei...
    /me bows
    ichi: dude whom we always argue, but have fun at it
    hontou: :/ i talk to him once... seems hes busy T,T

43. Description
    content
    Sasura
    Stalker

Taka is greater than I thought^^ and so, he was at Noizy Scans ~ I didn't know he was in this since that long =)
    HoutouRakuda, Hiding ? that's so true^^ actually, I think this might be the first time I see a post from you ! Well, as long as you give us such good translations, it's not like i can complain =p
    I loved Ichibukai's description ^^ I didn't really see him like that (well, i'm here since even less time than him^^). He seemed... so.... pure... Just joking =p Well, I might try applying in the proofreader department in not so long. It's good to know that :D
    I liked all the description, thanks to the one who did those. And please, Taka, Houtou and Ichi, continue giving us great mangas =)

45. Description
    content
    AbzoluteZero
    Stalker

I couldn't believe what I saw when I read the part on Takadanama. I'm not exaggerating but I feel a huge respect towards him for being able to found such a great group ! I wish I can also do the same thing as he does well at least contribute one way or another. ;D

I hope one day I can be as good as HontouRakuda so that I can enjoy all those Japanese novels that I bought and I still can't read T_T My english as great as Ichibukai so I'll get a good score on my TOEFL and IELTS :p

All in all you guys are the greatest my respect to all members of the RHS scanlation group !!!

47. Description
    content
    MajinAndy
    Stalker

I guess no one wants to know what I do....:( oh well haha

Good stuff on your three though :D

And continue to push out these great projects with quality :D

49. Description
    content
    Ichibukai
    Stalker

[quote author=Sasura link=topic=3362.msg47010#msg47010 date=1294986018]I loved Ichibukai's description ^^ I didn't really see him like that (well, i'm here since even less time than him^^). He seemed... so.... pure... Just joking =p[/quote]

People usually only get to see me like that once.

51. Description
    content
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast